Do you love homemade beauty solutions and are you frustrated that you cannot seem to find a DIY shampoo recipe on the internet that’s trouble-free to make? Continue reading to get acquainted with a recipe that’s so easy!
Before we take a look at the said homemade shampoo recipe, let us first put the spotlight on some of the reasons why you may already be sick and tired of using commercially-available shampoos. For all you know, you are not the only woman on the planet who ends up frustrated each time she gets her hands on a new bottle of shampoo.
Many of today’s shampoos contain all sorts of harmful ingredients. It’s so ironic that a product that promises to give you shinier, healthier and thicker hair is the one that can actually leave your mane dry and brittle, and your scalp irritated.
Some of the ingredients in your favorite shampoo may not only damage your hair and scalp, but even put your health in grave danger! Since your skin is semi-permeable, which means it permits certain molecules to pass through it, it’s not unlikely for some substances found in shampoo to be absorbed by your scalp. When that happens, they can easily get to your various organs by means of the bloodstream. That’s how shampoos can damage your health.
Let us take a peek at some of the ingredients found in most commercially-available shampoos that the experts regard as dangerous to your health:
• Sodium lauryl sulfate or SLS – A cheap detergent, SLS can be found not only in shampoos but many other personal products such as toothpastes and shaving creams. Studies say that SLS can quickly get to your various organs via the bloodstream. What’s more, they tend to leave residues in your heart, brain, kidneys and others.
• Sodium laureth Sulfate or SLES – If the name of SLES is almost similar to the name of SLS, that’s because they are relatives. The only difference is this: SLES is contaminated with 1,4 dioxane which is said to damage the kidneys and even trigger cancer. Since your liver can’t metabolize this carcinogen, it stays in your body for years!
• Polyethylene Glycol or PEG – This particular chemical is added to shampoos to make them creamy. Just like SLES, PEG is also contaminated with 1,4 dioxane. Aside from that, experts say that PEG is contaminated with another well-known carcinogen which is ethylene oxide.
• Parabens – What’s scary about parabens, which are chemical preservatives, is they mimic the action of the hormone estrogen. That’s why it doesn’t come as a surprise why parabens are associated with breast cancer. Further, these chemicals are also linked by the experts to organ toxicity and reproductive damage.
• Fragrance – It’s true that this ingredient can make your shampoo smell wonderful, but it can do some horrible damage to your health. There are thousands of fragrances used in all sorts of personal care products these days, and all of them can cause problems like headaches, asthma, contact dermatitis, obesity, brain fog and others!
Ready to whip up your own shampoo that does not contain any of the harmful ingredients mentioned above? Do take note that some of the ingredients you will need for this project can be obtained from health food stores and specialty shops. Here’s the simple recipe:
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup of liquid castile soap
- 20 drops of your favorite essential oil (lavender, rosemary, peppermint, lemon, etc.)
- Grab an empty shampoo bottle.
- Place all of your ingredients in it.
- Shake very well.
You’re done! Now you have a homemade shampoo that is very good at cleaning your hair and scalp, but without putting your mane and health at risk. Always remember to shake the bottle very well before applying about a couple of tablespoons each time you shower.