Kick off these bad habits that makes you a lot older than your age.
- Multitasking. Some think that multitasking is good, but in reality, you don’t get to finish anything; thus, creating more stress on your part. Studies have presented that chronic stress triggers the release of free radicals that damages your cell, making you age. Instead of trying to do all at the same time, experts suggest focusing on one task at a time and only move to another once you have accomplished it.
- Giving space for dessert. For a sweet tooth like you, you have to think twice again after reading this. Sweets, aside from adding pounds to your weight also add years to your face. The damaging process known as glycation can result to skin’s loss of radiance, appearance of dark circles under the eyes, puffiness, increased pore size, fine lines and wrinkles as well as loss of facial contours. Do you want to preserve your skin’s youthful glow? Then, limit intake of sugary treats.
- Sleeping less than five hours every single day. Sleep deprivation not only brings in dark bags under the eyes but it has been linked to shorter lifespan. Lack of quality sleep also has adverse effects on the skin that leads to development of wrinkles and uneven pigmentation. In addition, it reduces skin elasticity. More than the skin problems, lack of sleep leads to mental sluggishness, attention problems and weight gain.
- Spending several hours watching television. Too much movie or TV time shortens your life expectancy. While you enjoy ogling at your favorite actor on TV, too much time gluing yourself to it will also make you overweight. Stop the couch potato madness and start embracing an active lifestyle.
- Lighting up the dangerous stick. Smoking has several effects on your overall health including the skin. In a recent study, it has found that smoking is also linked to facial aging. In a study that surveyed sets of twins, each set have one twin who smoke and the other who did not. In less than five years, the difference between the twins are noticed as the one who smoked had more wrinkles, fine lines and dull skin as compared to the other twin who did not smoke.
- Skipping the use of sunblock. Just because summer is over, you will forget lathering on sunblock to your skin. Skin experts reveal that running errands, driving and walking back and forth daily without wearing sun protection may do more damage to your skin than spending a day in the beach. Moreover, these experts emphasize that exposure to ultraviolet rays is the number one cause of premature aging. With that, it is advised to use sunblock even on cloudy days because UV rays are still present. Thus, sunblock should not be a thing for summer but also a necessity for any season. Studies show that consistent sun exposure causes wrinkles, age spots, uneven skin tone and rough skin texture, making you older than your age.
- Wearing too much makeup. Excessive wearing of makeup especially oil-based products can clog the skin pores and cause breakouts. In addition, overuse of skin products with fragrances, irritating chemicals and alcohol may dry the skin by removing its natural oil, causing premature lines and wrinkles. Thus, use makeup appropriate for your skin or consult your dermatologist for proper guidance when it comes to makeup and skin caring.
- Sleeping with your face in the pillow. Did you know that sleeping on your stomach or on your side with your face smashed into pillow can create wrinkles and accelerate aging? A dermatologist confirms that the connective tissue and collagen in your face becomes weaker and less supportive with age. Avoid sleeping on the same side of your face night after night. It is advised to sleep on your back or invest in a satin pillowcase to keep skin smooth.
- Removing all fat from your diet. A certified nutritionist tells that some fat is necessary for maintaining a youthful feeling and appearance. Indulge in good fats like omega 3 fatty acids found in oily fish such as salmon and mackerel and certain nuts such as walnuts and flax seeds to keep skin supple and plump. Eating omega 3 fatty acid rich food helps in preventing the appearance of wrinkles as well as boosting heart and brain health. The group of nutritionists recommends to include fish in your meals at least twice a week.
- Neglecting the use of eye cream. Skin expert emphasizes the need to include application of eye cream in your usual skin care routine. Skin around the eyes is thinner than the skin on the rest of the face. The skin under the eyes age faster; hence, keeping them moisturized can take years off your face. Putting eye cream promotes formation of collagen and elastin that helps in tightening the skin and reducing fine lines around the eyes.