Are you fed up with the limited selections of mouthwash at local pharmacies and supermarkets? Read on to know how to make your own mouthwash that’s capable of killing microbes that cause bad breath and a host of other oral problems.
Mouthwash that contains alcohol may be very good at zapping bacteria, but it leaves the soft tissues in your mouth irritated and dry. Also, it can be very challenging to put up with that stinging or burning sensation! Since manufacturers recommend for you to gargle with their alcohol-based products for at least 30 seconds, you have no choice but to endure all the pain that makes your eyes water and your mouth wanting to explode with expletives!
There are mouthwashes on the current market that contain no alcohol. They do not cause the kind of discomfort associated with their alcohol-based counterparts, and they are just as effective as those in getting rid of bad breath and preventing various problems concerning your gums and teeth. However, these products tend to come with steep price tags!
Luckily, you can always come up with your very own mouthwash using ingredients that are cheap and easy to obtain. In fact, majority of the things you will need for this oral bacteria-killing product may already be in your kitchen or medicine cabinet. Before we go to the recipe, let’s take a look at some of the perks of making your own mouthwash:
• The finished product is free of harmful chemicals. Most of today’s mouthwashes are laden with preservatives, colorants, artificial sweeteners and many other ingredients that can wreak havoc to your mouth in the long run. The DIY mouthwash contains nothing that you don’t want to put in your mouth.
• It doesn’t contain alcohol. Using a mouthwash that is alcohol-based can leave your mouth dry and irritated. Did you know that such product can even leave you with bad breath due to the dryness it causes? It’s ironic that a personal care item designed to combat bad breath can actually make your breath reek!
• Your homemade mouthwash won’t leave your wallet empty. Thanks to the cheap ingredients involved, coming up with your own mouthwash from scratch is a pocket-friendly endeavor. You only need a few ingredients, and all of them are easy on the pocket. Some of them may even be already in your home.
• It’s the perfect solution for an assortment of issues concerning your mouth. Because of its blend of ingredients, you can effectively get rid of microbes in your mouth that cause bad breath and many other oral concerns. Go ahead and use it when you have canker sores and sore throat as it won’t leave you with more pain!
Let’s now take a look at the very simple recipe!
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
- 2 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1/2 cup of distilled water
- In a small container like a mason jar, place your distilled water followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Use a spoon to mix them very well.
- Cover the container.
That’s how quick and trouble-free it is to whip up your own mouthwash at home! Remember to shake the container very well before using because the baking soda will surely settle at the bottom.
Baking soda is known as a very good deodorizer. Its presence helps make this DIY mouthwash highly effective in making your breath smell fresh. Tea tree oil is known to posses superb antimicrobial properties. It can kill bacteria in your mouth, thus keeping them from giving you oral problems. Peppermint essential oil, just like tea tree oil, is an excellent microbe-fighter in its own right. It also gives your homemade mouthwash taste great!