Flu can hit you any time of the year and, depending on its severity, can leave you sniffling for days or, wrapped up in several layers of blankets because you are chilled. Most of us rely on medication to combat flu but sometimes, you’ll get better results if you choose healthier options to relieve you of your flu.
Do you want to know which home remedies for flu that actually works? Here are some examples for you to try out.
- Drink lots of water. Well, this is one remedy that is quite easy to follow but if you are not too much of a water drinker, you will need to make an extra effort to drink up to 8 glasses of water daily. Drinking water actually helps in suppressing your flu plus it keeps you hydrated so that your body can heal itself.
- Garlic. Garlic contains antiseptic properties that can help improve your immune system so that it can combat respiratory problems as well as other types of viruses that you often succumb to. Adding garlic to your diet is one way to stay protected against viruses or you can chew on it to fight off flu or take it in supplement form. Either way, you will still get the help you need to combat flu and fast.
- Bone broth and soup. Your mother probably feeds you chicken soup for sure when you’re feeling under the weather. It appears that it does help you heal faster because it contains proteins and other essential minerals that can help boost your immune system while speeding up the healing process.
- Ginger. Aside from garlic, ginger is also another useful remedy to treat flu thanks to its antibacterial properties. You can take it as is or make a tea out of it. Another way to use ginger is to add to your broth. You can make your own tea by using a ginger tea bag or you can slice some ginger and steep in boiling water. Add some honey to sweeten the taste and drink it. Drinking ginger can help suppress your cough and clear up any congestion in your lungs.
- Apple cider vinegar. This may not be on top of your list when it comes to fighting flu but it does work. Taking apple cider vinegar can help improve your immune system while fighting off any viruses that are making you blue. You can take a tablespoon of it in the morning or mix it with water and honey to help speed up your healing.
- Vitamin C. Another home remedy that can help treat flu is vitamin C. You can get it from citrus fruits and vegetables, or in supplement form. Increasing your intake of vitamin C when you have flu can help alleviate the problem.
Fighting flu doesn’t always have to mean taking medications because there are home remedies that can help you fight it off in no time.