Looking for a way to get fit and healthy despite a full-tight schedule? Why not try biking? More than its environmental benefits, this activity is a healthy way to staying fit. Ride that two-wheeler and pedal your way to fitness.
So, what does biking do to your health? Here are some fast facts about biking.
- Biking for 15 minutes going to and from work will burn 11 pounds of fat in a year.
- Biking for 30 minutes a day reduces your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- One hour of biking decreases your mortality risk by 35%.
- Biking is easier on your body than running.
- Biking improves your mood and reduces risk of depression after a short ride.
- Biking can help you in improving circulation, reducing arthritis and speed recovery from cuts and bruises.
- If you are at the age of 30 and above who bikes regularly, this pedal-powered activity can make you look 10 years younger than your peers of the same age.
- If you are a woman who weighs 110 pounds, biking for an hour at a moderate intensity can burn 400 calories.
Bike riding is considered as a fitness activity especially if you don’t have spare time to do some serious workout. This activity is as effective in delivering cardiovascular benefits like any other aerobic exercises for it offers the perfect balance of aerobic and muscular work. Pedaling away will form quads, calves and gluts. Another extra reward of biking, the hours you spend on holding the handlebars provide isometric exercise that will tone your upper body. It can trim your waistline, too.
This pedal activity is the best choice for people who are recovering from injuries. Since biking is a low impact and easy on the joints, doctors recommend riding a bicycle as a replacement for running and skiing.
Aside from its health benefits, biking is also beneficial to your overall well-being. Read on and encourage yourself more to ride a bicycle.
- Enjoy the outdoors. Biking allows you to get quality exercise at the same time have more fun outdoors.
- See more. Apart from exercise, biking allows you to enjoy and appreciate many scenic views. You can do it in and out of the city and explore different places or commune with the nature as your ride.
- Fly without wings. Riding a bicycle is the closest thing you can experience to flying without wings. Bike riders can regularly hit speeds of 30mph on flat road rides and over 45 mph on descents. Biking also offers a thrilling experience and you can do this activity anytime, anywhere.
- A social fitness. The ability to bike at an easy pace allows you to offer a good conversation with another biker. With biking, you don’t only get to exercise, you also create new friends and enjoy each other’s company while biking.
- A good mode of transportation. Biking lets you do other important things that needed to be accomplished. Bicycle is a good mode of transportation because you do not only get the fitness benefits your body needs, you also finish a task like grocery shopping or doing minimal delivery. Stuck in traffic? No need to worry about that since it is easy to bike your way back home. Apart from saving yourself from traffic, you also save from gas expenses. Hence, you are able to contribute to a good cause -in caring for the environment. Likewise, you also gain additional savings to your bank account.
- Excitement booster. If you want to level up your skills and boost excitement, then do off-trail biking. It brings intensity and adventure that offer thrilling experience and adrenalin rush. However, always remember that safety is a priority. Leave those intense actions to the expert.
Biking, indeed, is an extraordinary fitness activity. Reap its many rewards by doing this pedal-powered activity.