Celebrities like Gwyneth, Rihanna, and Madonna drink it but what exactly can you get from the coconut water trend?
Based on statistics, the number of coconut products that have been launched in the market has quintupled in 2008 as well products that have coconut water in them in international market too. According to drink experts, replacing sweetened or artificially colored sports drinks and Gatorade with coconut water can be good for your health.
Mintel’s global drinks analyst, Jonny Forsyth, said that coconut water has potassium, high amounts of electrolytes, magnesium and calcium making it a popular sports drink for those consume natural foods. This particular drink is actually doing well in the US since both waters that are vitamin enhanced as well as sports recovery drinks are already established compared to other countries hence people are more inclined to accept the benefits of having electrolytes in their beverages.
This means that the next time you go out for a run under the hot sun, get electrolytes from nature by drinking coconut water instead of sports drink. There have been numerous reports that there are some sports drinks that contain artificial sweeteners, chemicals to retard flame, fake food dyes, and even high amounts of sugar. Pressure from their consumers have pushed Powerade and Gatorade to announce the removal of the flame-retardant chemical, brominated vegetable oil, from their sports drinks.
The increase in sales of coconut water can also be attributed to the investments of known beverage companies as well as celebrities, according to Mintel, where they also stated that people go crazy for this particular drink since it is gluten free, is low in fat, has fewer ingredients that can trigger allergies not to mention, it is packaged in a way that is friendly to the environment. The top pick when it comes to coconut water based on Rodale News is Navitas Naturals Organic Coconut Water Powder. Aside from having the necessary electrolytes for you to stay hydrated, it is also non-GMO, vegan, 100% organic, and raw. Since it is freeze-dried, you can simply add water anytime you need to drink which greatly reduces the use of water bottles that can add to environmental waste. This also lowers greenhouse gases needed when shipping such liquid around the globe. If you’re not into mixing your own coconut water, you can always go for the Harmless Harvest coconut water.
Health Benefits of Coconut Water
- Provides fuel to the muscles and brain. Coconut water helps improve nerve transmission as well as the function of the nervous system thanks to the electrolytes it contains. It also protects you against muscle spasms and cramps.
- Aids digestion. The bioactive enzymes in coconut water helps with the metabolism and digestion. Due to its electrolytic effect, your body gets to absorb foods faster as well as improve the effectiveness of drugs. It also helps in soothing intestinal spasm or pain.
- Supports immune system. The Lauric acid in coconut water is anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial. This means that it can help eliminate candida and even intestinal worms and it can also strengthen the immune system to fight back infection.
- Contains essential electrolytes. Coconut water has sodium, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium which are important ions that help regulate muscles, heart, fluids and balance the cells’ electrical potential.
- Anti-aging. This natural drink has the compounds cytokinins which help protect the cells from cancer and aging.
- Maintain health of kidney and heart. Coconut water can help reduce your risk of stroke and hypertension as well as treat or prevent kidney stones.
- Stops dehydration. It can refuel and rehydrate you by maintaining the fluid levels of your body while its potassium level can help balance the water pressure within the blood and the cells.