Your kidneys are bean-shaped organs of elimination, each one about the size of your fist. Their roles include regulation of the fluid levels in the body and the purification of your blood. Everything that your kidneys deem as excess water or waste product is eliminated in the form of urine.
It is said that approximately 200 liters of blood pass through the kidneys on a daily basis to be purified. Because they have to work non-stop 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, it’s important to ensure that your kidneys are always in tip-top shape. Otherwise, all sorts of health problems may arise when these organs wind up unhealthy — from high blood pressure, formation of kidney stones, anemia, gum disease, fractures to insomnia.
There are many ways to keep your pair of kidneys in the pink of health. Some of them include having proper eating habits, exercising on a regular basis, cutting back on sodium intake, limiting alcohol consumption, and ditching smoking. It’s also important to drink 8 to 12 glasses of water daily to help the kidney carry out its tasks more effectively, as well as to keep kidney stones from forming. This simple smoothie can also do wonders to your kidneys:
1 medium-sized banana
1/2 lemon or lime
1/2 tablespoon of parsley, chopped
1/2 cup of almonds, crushed
1 cup of water
- Slice your banana and place it in the blender.
- Peel your kiwi, cut it up into quarters and dump them in the blender too.
- Squeeze half a lemon or lime into the mix, preferably organic.
- Throw in your chopped parsley.
- Dump your crushed almonds. If almonds are not around, feel free to use any other nut that’s readily available.
- Add a cup of water and some ice cubes. Blend very well.
- Transfer the smoothie in a tall glass and enjoy right away.
This refreshing smoothie is packed with vitamin C that helps in detoxifying the body, thus lightening the workload of your kidneys. Consuming it also adds to your overall fluid intake for the entire day.