Leg pain is not an uncommon condition as it can be experienced by anyone regardless of their age. The pain can either be mild or severe and can either occur in one leg or both. There are some instances where the pain is simply annoying or uncomfortable while in other occasions, the pain can be excruciating to the point that you can’t move your leg well. Symptoms such as numbness, tingling, and even weakness have been reported.
There are over-the-counter medications that can counteract the pain in your leg but if you are looking for safer alternatives, these natural remedies are worth trying out.
- Heat packs. Place a heating pad on the affected area of your leg and let it stay there for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat this remedy two to three times in a day until you feel relief from your leg pain. The heat can help reduce inflammation in your muscles. Take note that you shouldn’t apply the heating pad directly onto your skin as it may burn you. Place a wash cloth or towel on your leg before applying the pad.
- Massage. Another DIY remedy to alleviate leg pain is to give the affected muscle a massage. Massaging your muscles boosts blood flow which in turn reduces the pain that comes from stiff and sore muscles. A ten minutes’ worth of massage will greatly improve the mobility of your leg while reducing the pain.
- Apple cider vinegar. For this treatment, add a cup or two of ACV in a bucket of warm water and soak your feet in it for a few minutes. You can also make a solution to drink to help ease the pain from the inside. Apple cider vinegar is a good home remedy as it can treat various illnesses because of its anti-inflammatory properties which can soothe the pain.
- Turmeric. Turmeric is also a good solution to leg pain because of its anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidant content. The curcumin compound present in this spice can reduce inflammation and help soothe the pain away. Mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder with some warm sesame oil to create a paste. Apply this paste on the affected muscle and let it sit for 30 minutes before washing with warm water. You can do this remedy twice a day.
- Lemon juice and castor oil. Combine two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice with two tablespoons of castor oil. Apply the solution on your leg and massage it for five minutes. Let the solution sit for 2 hours then wash with warm water. Pat the area dry. What’s great about this home remedy is that the lemon juice contains high amounts of vitamin C which can make the swelling go down. The castor oil acts like a carrier oil which boosts the effects of lemon juice.
These home remedies have been tried and tested and have been found quite effective in alleviating the pain and stiffness in one’s legs. Try them out and see which one works best for you.