Stroke can affect everyone regardless of their age and sex. You might think that you’re healthy one minute then the next you’ve been hit by this cardio problem. Although those who often smoke, drink, and eat unhealthy meals are highly likely to suffer from stroke, you can never be too sure unless you learn how to keep this disease at bay.
If you want to avoid triggering stroke, these tips can help you out.
- Pay attention to your emotions. Depression is a silent killer and one that can increase your risk of stroke. When you feel depressed, your body won’t function properly thus putting you at risk of suffering from various health issues with stroke being on top. If you are aware of your feelings, you will be able to get help from your family and even professionals to address this issue immediately.
- Exercise more. Exercise has always been recommended by doctors to those who want to stay healthy because keeping your heart pumping and your blood flowing prevent buildup of plaque in your arterial wall. This also promotes more oxygen being delivered to different parts of your body which can boost their functions.
- Sleep. If you think that late nights are good for your health, you should think again. Sleep plays an important role in your health as it is at this moment of rest does your body regenerate itself. Without proper sleep, you’re putting yourself at risk of suffering from high blood pressure which can trigger stroke when you are not careful.
- Drink in moderation. If you often go out with friends or party all night, you’re probably drinking several bottles of booze every night. Although you’ll look cool in the presence of your friends, you are not actually helping yourself in terms of health. Too much alcoholic beverage can wreak havoc in your liver which can increase your cholesterol level and putting you at risk of suffering from stroke. Following the recommendation of one glass of wine for women and two glasses for men should be beneficial to you rather than drinking several bottles of beer.
- Use olive oil. Cooking with palm oil, canola oil, and the like can increase your risk of stroke. A better option would be to switch to olive oil when cooking as it has low melting point and it contains plenty of nutrients that your body needs to combat various diseases including stroke. Using olive oil regularly will reduce your risk of stroke up to 40%.
- Keep an eye on your weight. Another tip to keeping stroke at bay is to learn how to manage your weight. Going beyond the weight suitable for your age, height, and sex will already put you at risk of suffering from various cardiovascular diseases like stroke, heart attack, and high blood pressure just to name a few. If you keep your weight down by eating healthy foods and exercising regularly, you will be able to successfully keep stroke at bay.