It’s no secret that the sea is home to an extensive array of marine life and venue to so many adventurous tales. It’s also a place where health-giving nutrients come aplenty! That’s why seaweeds are some of the most nutrient-dense superfoods on the planet. In fact, they’re being consumed for thousands of years now for the attainment of superb health.
What’s so nice about seaweeds is they can be incorporated into one’s diet almost effortlessly. They can be purchased raw or dried, which can be easily added to practically any meal. Due to their versatility, enjoying the wonderful taste and most especially the health benefits of seaweeds is for everyone. For instance, so many kids love munching on nori sheets, the ones that are used for making sushi rolls. There are numerous other seaweeds that you may opt for aside from nori sheets. Some of the most popular ones include:
• Kelp – Also known as brown algae, kelp is one of the most common types of seaweeds. You can order it in supplement form to benefit from its loads of minerals. Kelp is also well-known as an important ingredient to a relaxing and beautifying hot seaweed bath.
• Dulse – This red seaweed is perfect for making salads, soups and all sorts of vegetable dishes taste amazing and more nutritious. If you don’t like the soaking and slicing involved, you may simply purchase dulse flakes which can be added to food without any trouble.
• Wakame – Possessing a lovely deep-green color, wakame is popularly sold in dried form which can be easily sprinkled into stir-fries, soups and stews. You can also purchase wakame in fresh form, although it has to be soaked in water first to boost the flavor.
• Arame – Just like wakame, this particular type of seaweed needs to be soaked in water before consuming or cooking. Soaking makes arame double in size. After soaking, go ahead and add this nutritious sea vegetable to your favorite veggie salads, curries and soups.
• Kombu – This seaweed highly popular in Japan can enhance the flavor so many dishes. More importantly, it can boost the nutritional content of just about anything you like to serve on the table. Add a strip of kombu to beans, sprouts and other vegetables you like to enhance their mineral content.
It is unquestionably a great idea to opt for organic seaweeds to make sure that they are free of any harmful chemical that they can absorb from the waters they’re harvested from.
Seaweeds are so dense in nutrients, and that is why you don’t have to eat a lot of them just to enjoy optimum health. Experts say that these sea vegetables are loaded with iodine, iron, magnesium, calcium, as well as vitamins A and C and various B-vitamins. They are also phenomenal sources of dietary fiber and protein. Due to the impressive nutritional profile of seaweeds, consuming them on a regular basis helps:
• Promote a healthy thyroid. Iodine found abundantly in seaweeds is important for the proper functioning of your thyroid, a gland that helps maintain normal metabolism and energy levels.
• Ward off osteoporosis. Seaweeds contain excellent amounts of calcium, a mineral necessary for strong bones. Calcium is also good for the teeth, heart and muscles.
• Remove poisonous substances in the blood. According to the experts, seaweeds are loaded chlorophyll, a pigment found in plants, capable of eliminating unwanted substances in the bloodstream.
• Alkalize the body. It’s no secret that an acidic body can trigger the development of inflammation and other diseases. The consumption of seaweeds helps neutralize excess acids and make the body more alkaline.
• Encourage healthy weight loss. Forget those expensive diet pills that do not work and only cause a variety of frightening side effects. Seaweeds help speed up your metabolism and keep you from overeating.
• Slow down the process of aging. On the hunt for an effective anti-aging solution? Get your hands on seaweeds as they contain antioxidants that shield your skin cells from free radicals.