Stomach ache, bad breath, nausea, and even gas usually occur when there is an imbalance in the digestive acids in your stomach which affects everyone regardless of their age or their sex. If you experience acidity issues all the time then you have an acid stomach. There are many factors that can contribute to this such as constant consumption of spicy foods, stress, irregular eating habits, and imbibing alcohol frequently. The good news is that you can reduce the acidity in your stomach without taking any medications since there are herbal remedies that you can turn to solve this issue. Here are some that are worth taking note of.
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon is one of the best home remedies to deal with an acid stomach as it works like a regular antacid which can dispel the accumulating gas in your stomach. To use this remedy, just add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water. Bring the water to a boil then let it steep for a couple of minutes. You should drink this tea at least two to three times in a day.
- Ginger. Ginger is known to be alkaline in nature which can help stimulate saliva production that will help remove the acid in your stomach. Another plus to using ginger is that it can reduce acid reflux. You can chew on a few slices of this herb throughout the day or you can prepare ginger tea by steeping a couple of ginger slices in a cup of hot water for about 5 minutes. Stir the tea thoroughly then add some lemon juice or honey for added taste.
- Cloves. Another natural remedy that can reduce acidity is cloves. One reason behind this is that clove has a carminative effect which means the hydrochloric acid in the stomach is elevated. You might be surprised to find that acidity can also be caused by low stomach acid. You should chew two to three cloves thoroughly so that the juices of the herb will be able to release into your system.
- Basil leaves. You should also try basil leaves because they contain compounds that will boost mucus production in your stomach to minimize acidity. To use this treatment, start by rinsing 5 to 7 leaves thoroughly then chew them after you eat a meal. You can also crush 8 to 10 basil leaves to turn them into a paste then mix into a glass of lukewarm water. Stir the contents thoroughly then drink to remove abdominal pain and acid.
- Fennel. Another home remedy that works well in minimizing acidity is fennel. All that you have to do is to chew on some aniseed especially after eating a meal that is spicy or at least heavy. You can also steep a teaspoon or two of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water then strain. Drink it at least a few times in a day. This will help alleviate your acidity quite fast.