Diarrhea can hit you unexpectedly and when it does, it is important that you treat it as soon as possible to find quick relief. Yes, there are medications that can help alleviate the problem fairly quickly but if there are none on hand, turning to home remedies may just give you the solution that you need. There are many factors that can trigger diarrhea such as spoiled food, allergic reaction, and the like. If you don’t address it as soon as possible, it can lead to dehydration, stomach cramps, and several trips to the bathroom.
So how can you treat diarrhea naturally?
- Ginger. One natural remedy that you can try when you have diarrhea is ginger. This spice can help treat food poisoning and reduce any stomach cramps that you may be feeling. To start, get a small piece of ginger and grate it. Add a teaspoon of honey and consume it. This combination will help your body release gastric juice to settle your stomach and your bowels. Drink water afterwards.
- Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar has antibiotic properties that can help treat diarrhea fast. Another benefit to using this treatment is that ACV contains pectin which can make your stomach and intestines relaxed to reduce spasms. Mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and drink it during meals to reduce diarrhea.
- Bananas. Another home remedy that is often recommended to those with diarrhea is to eat ripe bananas because of the pectin that they contain. Pectin, like it was mentioned before, can alleviate the spasms in the stomach and intestines so you will feel relief in no time. Plus, bananas contain potassium which can replenish your body’s store of electrolytes to prevent dehydration.
- Cinnamon and cayenne pepper. This combination is one of the best natural remedies for diarrhea as it can help tighten your bowels to reduce diarrhea. You will need 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 2 cups of water, and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon. Put the water in a pot and place it on medium heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir before allowing to simmer for about 20 minutes. Put it aside to cool. You should drink ¼ cup of this solution every half an hour to alleviate your diarrhea.
- Yogurt. Another possible home remedy for diarrhea is to eat yogurt preferable those that contain live cultures to aid in digestion. Diarrhea can occur when there is an imbalance in your gut environment which is why eating yogurt is good for you. Two bowls of this or throw in a few slices of banana can help up the ante in your diarrhea treatment.
These are just a few known home remedies that will help treat diarrhea as quickly as possible. What’s great about these treatments is that they are all safe to use and can deliver some impressive results too.